Monday, April 26, 2010

Health...this time, this place...
We live in a time of technology and a place of priority. I know our health care system is a business and it's priority (besides for taking good care of people in need...) is to make money. Do we really need to go to the dentist every 6 months? Don't get me wrong, I do, but could I get away with once a year? and, do my kids really need to go to all their well-visits? don't get me wrong, I try to get to most because health insurance pays for them, but if I didn't have insurance, I don't know if I would.
Owen was a champ at his first dentist appointment. He is normally decked out in something like sunglasses at night or suspenders on his underwear so it's not so weird to see him wearing them here. They were actually the dentist's idea to keep the light from shining in his eyes. :-)

If we were born just a hundred years ago...or even 87, we might be in jeopardy of losing our teeth as we get older. But my gramma mimi says I have very little chance of that happening because of the regular care.
If I lived in a different country, my children may not have been born without complications because I had good nurses and doctors that monitored my babies while in utero. They were able to tell me to be on my side because Owen's heartbeat was dropping when he was "stuck". Little things like that I have to be thankful for. I know others live in this time and age yet are not so lucky. However, are they the lucky ones because they have a different perspective than me on life? or am I the lucky one to not have that experience?

Perspective...I just saw a video of a woman with a prosthetic leg who would not go back and change what happened because of what the accident gave her life...opportunity, a new life, experiences, and goals and dreams she never would have had otherwise. That's how I hope to embrace life challenges...

2 comments:

The Wright Mommy said...

Definately something to think about eh?? I like your perspective.

Rachel's Family said...

My "tough times" are few and far between, but I have heard people with horrible tragedies happening to them or children being born with a disability who are THANKFUL for what has happened or for their disability. The situation or disability provided a new perspective that they would not have otherwise. Perhaps they really are the lucky ones...hmmmmm...